Monday 17 May 2010

Hello again...


When I started this blog I decided to try to write a post on a weekly basis. Well, I have failed miserably and it is ages since my last entry. I blame a virusy computer and children being off school for holidays. However, I have not been entirely lazy and have been working on new jewellery. This mixed media brooch includes resin, enamel and rose quartz and combines my favourite jewellery making techniques. I am also experimenting with a new way (for me) of doing a brooch pin. So of course I've had to road test it myself, by wearing it as much as possible. It's holding up really well and I'm looking forward to making more like this in the future.

3 comments:

littlecherryhill said...

Wow Fiona! What a beautiful brooch! And a kewl new way to place the pin part :)

Unknown said...

I love this, babe - what guage did you use for the pin and is it half-hard? I bought one from Kernow craft with a flat back on it and a thingy you stick on the end but it just melted - I didn't even give it much heat!!! Had more luck with a "C" twizler on the end from Cooksons but I'd rather make them myself... Love this piece, the gold bits are so pretty! Thanks for forwarding me here, you're a babe!

fionachapman said...

Thank you, Katie. The pin is 1mm thickness and has stood up to use pretty well. I agree, brooch pins can be tricky. There are so many commercial ones to choose from. This pin is Argentium alloy, which has a bit more strength than sterling. Although I'm sure sterling would work well too. I also tumbled it with steel shot to make it as springy as possible.